We all know that staying hydrated is an essential part of fitness. You’ve probably heard about the controversy over BPA, a chemical in some water bottles that has been shown to cause cancer and other diseases in lab animals. That may get you worried about whether the containers you use for water are safe. An article by Christie Aschwanden sums up some of the possible dangers lurking in common bottles, and makes recommendations based on the scientific evidence.
- Bottled water – the experts recommend only one-time use; more uses can result in chemicals being released into bottle
- Soft plastic bottles – not dangerous, but water that sits too long can develop a plastic taste
- Old nalgene bottles – contain BPA, which may be dangerous
- BPA-free plastic bottles – safe
- Stainless steel bottles – safe